Life support

A boy lay on his dying father’s chest as his life support was disabled after a stabbing

A one-year-old lay on his dying father’s chest with his life support turned off.

The heartbroken family of father-of-one Tom Lewis have paid tribute to the energetic young man and the holes left by his death after two men were cleared of the murder, Reports from the Liverpool Echo.

The 23-year-old was stabbed in Cambridgeshire, where he lived, and surgeons amputated his leg in an attempt to save his life, but he died in hospital two days after the attack.

Two men – William Ferreira, 25, of Cherry Road in Wisbech, and Jack Dida, 20, of Turbus Road in King’s Lynn in Norfolk – were found not guilty of her murder by a jury at Cambridge Crown Court on 25 February 2022, following a trial.

Tom Lewis, 23, with his sister Neneh’s son and daughter


Liverpool ECHO)

Thomas, son of Tom Lewis


Liverpool ECHO)

Mr. Dida was also exonerated for having assisted an offender.

A lack of closure has hung over the family since he died in hospital after being stabbed in the leg in Wisbech, Cambridgeshire at around 1am on Tuesday September 8, 2020, reports the Echo.

Tom’s mother, Sharon, can’t bring herself to visit the place where her son died or hang his picture on her wall.

She can barely dwell on the happy times with Tom, saying, “I can’t stop thinking about how he’s in the ground with one leg.”

Tom was an ‘animal lover’ who once came home with a seagull biting his finger before calling the RSPCA to collect it.

For a time, a chicken lived in a pen at the end of his bed, pecking at his feet while he slept.

Before he died, he considered moving back to Liverpool and going back to university to pursue his dream of working with animals.

He was also a prankster, once stuffing his sleeping nephew’s hands and toes with birdseed while the chicken was in the room, and often jumping out of cupboards to scare Ben, his older brother.

Tom, who was fiercely proud of his Irish heritage, was “the most outgoing person you could meet, he would do anything for anyone, he would talk to anyone”, according to his sister Neneh.

The 30-year-old laughed as she remembered his loud voice saying: “You’d know straight away, ‘Oh, it’s Tom’, you’d hear him from the end of the street.

“You would always know it was him because he wasn’t silent. He was just one of those people, everyone knew him.”

She wants to remember him as “the outgoing, loving person he was”, saying, “He’s just the best kind of person there is. I don’t even know how I could describe him.

“You would never have another one. They broke the mold when they did.

“He was the best brother you could wish for, the best uncle I could choose for my children and the best father.

“He was just an amazing person.”

Mum Sharon last spoke to Tom on the Sunday before he died, the same day he last called his brother Ben, whom he said he would call back later.

The Mirror newsletter brings you breaking news, exciting showbiz and TV stories, sports updates and essential political information.

The newsletter is sent by e-mail first thing every morning, noon and every evening.

Never miss a moment by signing up to our newsletter here.

Ben “immediately wanted to vomit” when he heard what happened to Tom, saying, “I felt like I was going to be sick. It’s a disgusting feeling.”

Word spread through the family in the hours before Ben and Neneh traveled to Cambridgeshire, unaware of how serious it was during the ‘very tense and nerve-wracking’ journey to the hospital where Tom lay, his condition “on the razor’s edge”.

Neneh cried when she entered Tom’s room. Ben’s voice cracked as he recalled arriving to see his brother’s face “all crushed, with tubes in his throat”.

He said, “That’s not how you want to last see anyone, especially not your brother.”

For two days, Tom was hospitalized to undergo surgery and have his leg amputated.

The wait was “really traumatic” for Neneh, who was preparing for Tom not making it.

Sharon felt sick, “like you were going to die”, as she heard the developments.

Ben tried to convince himself that Tom would survive by saying, “That’s what I was telling myself, and I was telling everyone he was fine, you know, ‘he’s going to struggle for a while, but he’s going to good’ .”

A general view of Addenbrooke’s Hospital


Geoff Robinson Photography/REX/Shutterstock)

But it became clear that Tom wouldn’t make it. Her then one-year-old son Thomas was lying on his chest when his life support was turned off at Addenbrooke’s Hospital in Cambridge.

Ben held Tom’s hand, wishing he could take his brother’s place as the 23-year-old’s heart stopped on Thursday, September 10, 2020.

Ben said, “If it had been the other way around, he would have been with me, and I believe he knew we were there.”

Neneh is “still a bit in denial” and “angry that his life was taken away from him”.

She moved to Wisbech after Tom’s death to be closer to her son, describing him as a “lovely, good boy” that Tom would be proud of.

Neneh said: “He’s like his dad. He’s funny, he’s got the best personality for a two-year-old, he’s really smart.

“He’s like his father in every way.”

Despite the trace of Tom left in their son, the family is all too aware of the pain Thomas may feel later when he learns what happened to his father.

Ben said: “[Thomas] must grow up without a dad. We must grow up without brothers or sons.

“It’s not fair that I have to tell my nephew how his father was. I shouldn’t have to do that.

“It’s not something I should have to do. His father should be with him.”

He added: “I just have to try to make sure people always remember him.

“I could be gone 100 years and I still want to be remembered, like, ‘You had a great-great-uncle named Tom, that’s why your name is Tom’.

“He’s the strongest person I’ve ever known, as he was. I’ll never meet someone like him again.”

A Cambridgeshire Police spokesperson said: “We note the decision made by the jury following the trial.

“A full investigation has been conducted by our Major Crimes Unit and at this time we are not actively investigating any investigative leads.

“If anyone has any new information, please contact Cambridgeshire Police quoting Operation Wentworth.”

Read more

Read more

Source link