Life support

Family grateful for the miracle of life, support of the community | North West

Articles in this Regional News Roundup are taken from weekly newspapers across the region. This is the second part, the first having appeared in the Friday’s Tribune.

GRANGEVILLE – Saturday, October 9 is a date engraved in the memory of mothers Tammy Barclay and Angie Clovis.

It was the day their world changed; the day their 8-year-old daughter, Khaleesi, was nearly killed in a shootout. (This is still under investigation, so details of the actual event will be omitted from this story).

“I couldn’t believe it – you didn’t expect this,” Angie shook her head.

“She was on a game date so it didn’t register or feel real at first,” Tammy agreed.

The bullet passed through Khaleesi’s neck, just below his right ear, slashing his carotid artery. It ricocheted into his jaw and mouth and was grabbed by a wisdom tooth, after wreaking havoc on his permanent teeth, tongue and sinuses.

Khaleesi was transported for life to Sacred Heart Medical Center in Spokane with a pseudoaneurysm, facial muscle and tissue distress and respiratory failure, not to mention the gunshot wound.

“She lost a lot of blood. She has flatline twice, ”her mothers said.

Several blood transfusions and touch surgeries later, the family rejoices in the miracle they received.

“She’s alive,” Tammy said. “And she’s doing remarkably well.”

Their good fortune is not lost on them.

“We can’t even express how grateful and blessed we are,” Angie said.

“We want the whole community to know how grateful we are for everything everyone has done,” Tammy said. This includes gifts, prayers, kind words, messages and more.

Tammy said Dr Matthew Told of Syringa Hospital “saved Khaleesi’s life”.

“He acted quickly, kept a cool head and was great to us,” she said. “Her attending physician, Tema Jessup [St. Mary’s] – well, we just love her and can’t thank her enough for all the follow-up appointments and how much the whole family means to them.

“It was a good day,” said third-grader Khaleesi after her first day back to school on December 13.

Although she remembers little of the incident, she told her mothers about a visit she received either during transport or while in hospital.

“Great-grandfather Slim was with me,” his small voice said. “He said to me, ‘You are strong and you can do it.’ “

Slim Wassmuth was Angie’s grandfather.

The shining eyes of her mothers say what they cannot verbalize: angels watch over their daughter.

“It’s amazing,” Tammy nodded.

Khaleesi’s family have said that she will need to undergo various examinations throughout her growing years to ensure that the repaired carotid artery is developing properly. oral surgeon, to name a few.

“We’re also looking at a sleep study once she gets a little bit further in the healing process,” Tammy said. At the moment, they are sleeping together as Khaleesi sometimes has to be shaken to wake up when her breathing is too weak or stops. She also suffers from short-term memory loss.

While there are many concerns for the future, including procedures not paid for by insurance, the family knows how lucky they are.

“It’s a wonderful community” Angie nodded.

“We are very grateful. I want to repeat it. This community supports you when you need it, ”Tammy added.

– Lorie Palmer, The Clearwater Progress, (Kamiah), Thursday

Source link