Life support

Former Fairhaven Select Chairman Dan Freitas has been removed from life support

NEW BEDFORD – Former Chairman of the Board of Fairhaven Select Dan Freitas was removed from life support at St. Luke’s Hospital Sunday where he had been brought after having suffered a cardiac arrest last week.

His brother Eddie said Dan was still alive on Monday but was expected to die during the day.

“He’s stubborn,” his brother said.

Eddie posted a message to his Facebook page on Saturday “to dispel any rumors that are circulating and more importantly to hopefully help anyone else who may find themselves in a similar situation.”

He said his brother had a drug problem that stemmed from prescription painkillers he took after injuring his back while shoveling snow a few years ago.

He said drug addiction further compromised the respiratory issues Dan had experienced.

His brother’s breathing escalated to the point last Tuesday morning that he called 911 before no longer answering.

Eddie said: “He went into respiratory arrest and then cardiac arrest. He had been down for a little while. FFD doctors treated him and found his pulse. Unfortunately, because he was inactive for so long, he suffered a catastrophic brain injury.

“There was no overdose. He never overdosed. Despite what is being said, there was no overdose.

He said: “Drug addiction knows no borders. Black, white or purple; rich or poor. Never mind.

Eddie added: “If you are hiding a drug problem, get help. It’s not going to fix itself or go away. You are not going to stop on your own. It does not work like that.

The alternative, he said, is to carry on, ruin your life, hurt your family, “and maybe end up like this.”

Incident explained:A Fairhaven councilor speaks out on the assault allegations

Dan Freitas was removed from his post as coach following a recall election last July. The recall was triggered in part by a July 2020 incident in the parking lot of 14 Plaza Way involving her 18-year-old daughter, another young woman, and that woman’s 24-year-old boyfriend.

To look closer:A thousand Bristol County rape kits have never been tested. Here’s why the DA is changing that

Dan Freitas told The Standard-Times last May that the couple had been belligerent with his daughter, which escalated into an altercation between him and the other man during which punches were thrown.

He said he had never been arrested. The other couple filed criminal complaints against him which were dismissed following a show cause hearing before a New Bedford District Court clerk last May. These hearings are closed to the public.

Source link