Life support

Utah teen taken off life support after dirt bike crash

A Utah teenager was taken off life support on Sunday, three weeks after suffering a traumatic brain injury in a mountain bike accident.

According to a GoFundMe Set up for family medical bills, Champ Salley was enjoying a ride on a dirt bike when he was ejected from the vehicle, landed on his head and suffered major head trauma as well as a fractured shoulder. compressed spine on Sunday, April 3.

He was taken to Primary Children’s Hospital where he was battling brain swelling, a compressed spine, a collapsed lung and pneumonia.

According to a post on social media by his grandmotherSusan Salley, on Sunday, her condition was constantly changing during her hospitalization.

“The last three weeks have been an emotional roller coaster. We have witnessed many miracles that allowed us to communicate with him for several days. He was awake, could nod his head, move his hands and feet, and even shrug shoulders by answering specific questions.”, she says. “Then a week ago it all fell apart. He had a violent storm episode in his brain coupled with a small stroke. He underwent emergency surgery. This included the removal of part of the back of the skull to relieve pressures in his brain.”

His grandmother wrote that Champ’s condition continued to deteriorate until the family made the difficult decision last Sunday to remove him from life support.

Champ’s grandmother said there was a silver lining to the tragedy.

“You could call it one more miracle,” she wrote. “Just a month ago, when Champ got his learner’s license, he checked the box to be an organ donor! It made that decision easier for his parents. One last act of selfless service from of all.”

Salley said a family waiting for a lung transplant for their child was a perfect match for Champ.

“We know that his organs will help a lot to live or have a better life. What joy these families must feel today,” she wrote.

Champ’s mother, Alicia Salley, told FOX 13 News on Monday that Champ was a very special boy with an infectious smile and did everything right while riding, including wearing a helmet.

“Champ was a fighter and was making progress in his recovery before there was a setback (the hit),” she says. “If there was anything else to be recognized in this horrific tragedy, it would be how important it is to wear the proper safety equipment. It was because he was wearing all of his safety equipment that he was able to being an organ donor. And if he hadn’t had that stroke, we’d say the helmet saved his life.”

“It was a rare moment to surprise him without smiling or laughing”, Alicia added. “He found joy in everything he did and never gave me a hard time. I dreaded the day when he would be a typical teenager with an attitude or rebellions, but it never happened. never produced.”

Champ’s funeral service was scheduled at St. George. He leaves behind Alicia Salley (his mother), Scott Greenwalt (stepfather), Christopher Salley (his father), Erica Langford (stepmother) and his sister Elonna Greenwalt.

Source link