Life support

Warning issued after two puppies were put on life support

Two puppies who were rescued from a breeding farm spent days on life support because they were suffering from parvovirus.

Charlie and Wilma finally made it out and now their families want to raise awareness about the deadly disease and raise money for the charity that helped save the lives of their puppies.

Charlie, 12 weeks old, Basset hound, and Cavachon Wilma, 11 weeks old, have been adopted by the RSPCA. Woodside Animal Center , in Leicester, after being rescued from a puppy farm.

They were two puppies from two litters who were raised in foster homes and moved to their new families after receiving vaccines, treatment for worms and getting the green light from an independent veterinarian.

Tragically, a number subsequently became ill and some died from the parvovirus.

Charlie and Wilma were fortunate enough to survive after specialist veterinary care that was paid for by the Woodside team, who covered the bills for all the puppies that fell ill; totaling over £ 30,000.

Charlie is spending Christmas with a loving family this year

Matthew Chapman, his partner, Ila, and their five-year-old son, Horatio, adopted Charlie after spending a year thinking about having a dog.

Matthew, from Rothley in Leicestershire, said: “Last Christmas we were visiting a festive market and Horatio asked him if he could make a wish at the Wishing Fountain. He asked for a puppy. At the end of November, her wish came true and eight-week-old Charlie came home with us. He was over the moon and they formed an incredible bond almost instantly.

The family were concerned that Charlie’s poop might contain blood and checked with the Woodside team who said this could happen after their dewormer, vaccines and because of the anxiety of leaving the center.

“He ate and played so we weren’t too worried,” Matthew added. “It started to snow, the Christmas tree was up and we had bought our puppy house in time for Christmas; it was like a fairy tale.

When Charlie started to suffer from diarrhea and stopped eating over the next few days, Matthew took him to his own local vet who confirmed what the RSPCA the staff had told him.

When, a few days later, he hadn’t improved, they took him back to the vet again and performed tests which found the little puppy to have parvovirus. He spent five days at the vet.

Charlie has recovered and is now home and feeling much better.

He has resumed his vaccinations as recommended by vets and the family are eagerly awaiting their magical Christmas together which they feared never happened.

Wilma pictured with her best friend Winnie
Wilma pictured with her best friend Winnie

“I am very happy to say that Charlie is now on the road to recovery and that my son’s faith in the magic of Christmas is stronger than ever,” said Matthew.

Nilly-Mae Simms, from Leicester, adopted Wilma from the other litter that Woodside was looking after.

She too had been dewormed, vaccinated and checked by a vet before being recovered, but Wilma fell ill just days after returning home, but put the girl’s nerves to the test of being in. a new house.

Nilly-Mae – who also owns the golden doodle Winnie – admitted she had no idea what parvovirus was until Wilma was admitted to the veterinary hospital for intensive care.

“Wilma didn’t eat or drink, she was exhausted, lethargic and didn’t want to play,” Nilly-Mae said.

“When she was taken to the vet she was hooked up to so many tubes and equipment, it was awful to see her like that. One hour, we learned that she was better and the next, she deteriorated and we were told to prepare for the worst; it was a roller coaster.

After 10 days of treatment, Wilma got away with it and was finally able to return home to spend Christmas with her new family.

Now Nilly-Mae wants to raise awareness about the parvovirus and raise funds for the Woodside team, who covered the cost of all of Wilma’s bills.

“It was such a horrible thing and no one at Woodside could have stopped it. They were so brilliant all along, calling me and checking on me and Wilma every day. They went above and beyond for to help.

“It wasn’t just Wilma they saved, but me too. With the rising bills we might not have had a home to bring her back, that’s how bad it was. I cannot thank them enough.

Nilly-Mae has launched a GoFundMe fundraising to help raise funds for the animal center – which is independent from the national RSPCA – and help other animals in need.

“Woodside must have spent thousands of pounds to help these puppies and it took funds away from other animals who need help and support this Christmas and into the future,” Nilly-Mae said.

“I wanted to help raise money to give back to the team. After everything they’ve done for Wilma, me and the other puppies and families, it’s the least I can do.

Woodside manager Amanda Lovett explained, “ Parvovirus is a highly contagious virus that causes severe vomiting and diarrhea in unvaccinated dogs and can be life-threatening, especially in young puppies.

“It can take up to two weeks for symptoms to show up and we were absolutely devastated when some of the new puppy owners started contacting us to tell us their dogs had become seriously ill.”

Source link